Friday, June 3, 2011

Spring Walk


What an invigorating walk! It was a little cooler today than Wednesday. Hallelujah! I enjoyed the bunnies, the white daisies and the purple thistle, but my favorite plant this time of year is the yucca. Maybe you’ve eaten them at an authentic Mexican restaurant-yum! Or maybe you love seeing them as much as I do.

They grow all over the US, so you’ve probably passed them along the roadside or in the woods. The yucca plant is an evergreen which grows in poor, sandy soil. You probably haven’t really noticed them, except this time of the year. The plant grows close to the ground; a plain, ordinary looking plant. Its rigid sword-like leaves grow like tall rosettes from the center of the plant. Un-noticed and squatted close to the ground, the plant drinks nourishment, produces food and patiently grows until June arrives. The warm sunshine announces the time to bloom. Then a tall stalk will shoot up from the center of the plant. At the top of the stalk, a cluster of beautiful white bell shaped flowers bloom. That’s when this unassuming plant is impossible to miss. They are in bloom right now and they are glorious!

Every time I see a yucca plant, I am reminded of 1 Peter 5:6 “So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and in his good time he will honor you.”(NLT) Humble yourself. That’s what a yucca plant does, but when it’s time comes, it is so beautiful. Thank you, God. You have given me a powerful visual, a reminder that I must stay in a humble place.

The picture in 1 Peter 5:6 is even more glorious than the yucca blooms. Look where our assigned place of humility is located. It’s not off in some bleak desert, forgotten and forsaken. That assigned place of humility is not a place of fear and destitution; it is under the mighty power of God. That assigned place of humility is not under a black cloud, but under the cloud of provision like that the children of Israel lived under as they traveled to their promised land.
The spirit of our culture is pride. The center of pride is always I, whether it wears the mask of false pride or the blatant banner of self-exaltation. Humility is a place that God goes to pass out grace, encouragement and promotion. (1 Peter 5:5)

Now that I've climbed down off my soapbox, I’m sipping my iced coffee (like I could actually sip any kind of coffee) on the back porch enjoying my honey and the mountains. Wayne doesn’t indulge, so I have the entire container to myself. I use 1 cup of leftover coffee, (which doesn’t happen often at my house) 1 cup of water, 1/3 cup of powder milk, 2 cap fulls of sugar free Raspberry syrup, 2 packets of Nevella and enough ice to fill the blender container to about ¾ full. Blend to completely smooth. It is SO good and it doesn’t wipe out all the calories I just burned walking. The froth on this drink is amazing! I love icy froth! Yum yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment